My Favourite Summer Cocktail - The Mojito
I fell in love with the Mojito on a trip to Cuba over a decade ago. When I returned I started growing mint in my garden each summer in anticipation of enjoying this refreshing cocktail but after I gave up alcohol I found it hard to re-create the taste and enjoyment I had for the drink. That was until this past weekend when I rediscovered this cocktail (mocktail) using our new Ronsin Alcohol-Free Rum and I've been drinking several a day ever since - the hot Toronto weather certainly helps. The recipe is quite simple and low in sugars and carbohydrates if you don't add additional sugar.
- 6-10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice (or lemon)
- 2 oz. Ronsin Alcohol-Free Rum
- 4 oz. soda water
- 1 cup crushed ice
- in a 10 oz. glass (Collins or highball) stir together lime juice and mint
- muddle mint in juice using 5 or 6 turns
- add 2 oz. of Ronsin Alcohol-Free Rum
- add ice and then pour in soda water
- stir and add mint on top to garnish
Prefer your drinks slightly sweeter? Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar before muddling.